When it comes to choosing an alternative source of light for plants, T5 grow lights can definitely do the work. Whether it is for full-time or part-time use only, the best T5 grow lights can help in your plants’ growth. Regardless of the amount of light they need on each growth stage, you can find one with adjustable features. So technically, the more features and adjustment you can get the better. These lamps are commonly available in different sizes from 2 ft. – 4ft. and weigh 10 – 30 pounds or over. It can be used on various indoor plants as well to reduce your electricity bill and cut some costs. So, read on to learn more about the best T5 grow lights from this guide.
#1. VIVOSUN 4 ft. 46IN 54W 3000K T5 HO Fluorescent Tubes Warm White Grow Light Bulbs Pack of 5
All set for novice and expert growers, this T5 grow light from VIVOSUN is no doubt a best seller. It is designed with High Output fluorescent tubes that produce just enough warm white glow for different kinds of plants. In addition, this Editor’s Choice light emits a balanced red and orange spectrum with 3,000K bulb temperature.Once attached on a single fixture, its 54W bulbs produce up to 5,000 lumens that work on huge and tight spaces. These bloom features encourage plants to undergo the flowering stage and vegetative stage without producing any UV ray.
Features and Specifications:
- Weighs 2.75 pounds with 47.5 x 3.9 x 2.9 inches product dimension
- Designed with a color temperature of 3,000K and a cool spectrum that guarantees growth for vegetative plants
- Produces 5,000 lumens that come from its 5 packs of 54W T5 grow lights
- Works efficiently with up to 20,000 hours lifespan in a 4 ft. /46 inches length
- Gentle on foliage light helps nourish your plants’ tender buds to prevent foliage even when placed closer to plants or any small grow rooms
- VIVOSUN’ low heat emission allows it to have excellent ventilation and air conditioning without adding extra
This is the kind of grow lights that we can definitely recommend for those who want a cheaper alternative. It is much cheaper compared with LEDs and has about 50x longer lifespan compared with incandescent bulbs. At the same time, its lifespan is 5x longer than regular grow lights.
- Very affordable
- Perfect for industrial and commercial application
- Consumes less energy and produces less heat
- Ideal for germination, aquariums, greenhouses, propagation, and general office lighting
- Produces more lumens than HE or standard tubes
- Consumes less amount of energy compared with conventional grow lights
- Not as efficient for growing seedlings and clones
- Some bulbs do not last as described
#2.Hydrofarm FLT44 System Fluorescent Grow Light, 4-Feet
This may seem a little over the price compared with the previous model and brand but it still is impressive. It has a daisy chainable style that allows you to run it up to 3 fixtures using a single outlet. Thus, it can still contribute to your garden’s design while daisy-chained together and hanged with a low profile. Furthermore, it comes with a sleek steel fixture that is powder coated. You can also hang it in different ways which makes it one of the most versatile T5 grow lights. It’s ideal whether you like your plants to be arranged on the floor, hanged, or lined up on your wall.
Features and Specifications:
- Weighs 19.27 pounds with 46.2 x 12.8 x 2.8 inches product dimension
- Designed with a color temperature of 6,400K and a low profile
- Versatile style allows you to hang it in 3 ways: overhead, horizontal, or vertical
- Produces 18,800 lumens and up to 20,000 initial lumens that come from its 4 tubes of 216W T5 grow lights
- Daisy chainable allows you to run it up to 3 fixtures from a single outlet
- Works efficiently with 120V input voltage, 60 Hz frequency, and 1.8 Amps
- Includes 10 ft. of grounded power cord and a powder coated steel housing
- High performance faceted specular aluminum parts allow better distribution of light within its coverage area
Indoor gardens can be a little complicated to work on sometimes without the right lighting devices. Thus, this is what we can recommend for those who want a versatile device that can work on all types of plants. Regardless of the plants’ location and position, its hanging configurations can be customized.
- Hassle-free to set up and operate
- Ideal as an energy-efficient and high output alternative to LEDs
- Allows multiple hanging configurations to match your indoor garden’s design
- Can be daisy-chained together with additional fixtures
- A little expensive compared to regular grow lights
- May increase the ambient temperature by 4 – 10° which is very hot to touch
#3. iPower 54W 4 Feet T5 Fluorescent Grow Light Stand Rack for Seed Starting Plant Growing, 6400K
This is another great option for those who want a lightweight T5 grow light for indoor gardening. Whether you aim to use it as a full-time or part-time lighting solution, it can work with beginners and professionals. Even though it’s a little smaller than other grow lights in the USA, iPower designed it to be heavy-duty. It can emit up to 5,000 lumens and reach up to 6,500K color temperature without consuming too much energy. It also has an advanced device with a hassle-free height adjustment mechanism so you can lower/raise its fixture smoothly. This way, you can ensure your plants’ maximum growth as you adjust it according to their lighting needs.
Features and Specifications:
- Weighs 7 pounds with 50 x 12 x 25 inches product dimension
- Designed with a color temperature of 6,400K in a single bulb for maximum coverage
- Produces 5,000 lumens that come from its 1 pack of 54W bulbs T5 grow lights
- Includes 6 ft. grounded power cord with an On/Off switch
- Simple toggle clamp with a feather touch height adjustment mechanism that lowers or raises its fixture smoothly
- Full metal frame makes it extra sturdy which measures approximately 50 x 18 ½ x 30 inches
- Premium quality fluorescent fixture that has an internal wide reflector that directs more light to your plants
Considered as one of the most affordable T5 grow light in this list, this one is very ideal for budget-seekers. Even with just a single bulb, it has a solid metal stand that can hold up its fixture. We also like its internal wide reflectors that boost its light coverage.
- High output and energy-efficient
- Uses a high-quality electronic ballast to regulate its voltage
- Hassle-free to adjust its fixture’s height with an advanced mechanism
- Super easy to assemble and to operate
- UL/CSA listed guarantees its quality
- Some units can be a little uneven and wobbly
- There’s nothing to hold its crossbar in place to prevent it from falling
#4. T5 Grow Light (4 ft. 4lamps) DL844s Ho Fluorescent Hydroponic Fixture Bloom Veg Daisy Chain with Bulbs
This brand new T5 grow light in 4 ft. is a plugin and goes type that you can easily use. It is perfect for greenhouses and other indoor gardens especially since it can be connected with other fixtures and daisy-chained. Constructed with multiple switches, you can turn On and Off 2 bulbs at a time depending on your plants’ needs. Thus, you can save energy whenever you only need a few bulbs to support your plants’ growth. Moreover, you can use it with a timer which makes it easier to control.
Features and Specifications:
- Weighs 9.3 pounds with 46 x 4 x 12 inches product dimension
- 4 ft. blue-white lamps with complete hanging hooks, complete chains, and a color temperature of 6,400K
- Produces 20,000 lumens that come from its 4 pieces of 230W bulbs with 120V input voltage
- Includes 8 ft. grounded power cable that can be daisy-chained together and a 15 ft. power cord outlet on a fixture
- Flexible light output with 2 built-in switches allow step dimming for the 2 inner bulb and 2 outer bulbs
- Certified “Made in Italy” ACC Stacchi lamp holder keeps the tubes fire-resistant
- Rated for safe operation in wet/damp grow rooms
- Allows a hassle-free assembly and installation
- Comes with UL/CUL listed fixtures
- 30% lighter than other T5 grow lights on the market
- The bulbs can be too bright which can also make it too hot
- Some burn out sooner which requires a replacement
#5. Sunblaster 904297 NanoTech T5 High Output Fixture Reflector Combo, 3-Feet
Designed and crafted using the Nano Technology, this 18 inches fixture comes with an advanced NanoTech reflector. This increases its light’s efficiency by 300% so you can make sure that all your plants are covered by its light. This HO fluorescent fixture is also built with electronic ballast and a 6,400K lamp. Just like the previous models, it comes with a complete package that includes a long power cord, and a jumper plug. The latter includes both flat surface and hanging mounting clips.
Features and Specifications:
- Weighs 1.45 pounds with 37.5 x 3.5 x 2 inches product dimension
- Designed with a color temperature of 6,400K and an electronic ballast that help in plants’ growth
- Built with 18 inches fixture that can fit the NanoDome and accommodate 39W SunBlaster grow light bulbs
- Works efficiently with a NanoTech reflector that was designed using the Nano Technology for producing an ultimate reflective surface
- Includes a maximum of 8 single power cables that allow it to be linked together with other fixtures
- The revolutionary reflector helps increase its amount of lumens by 300%
- Perfect for budget seekers
- Can be plugged into a timer to control it with ease
- Made as one of the most reliable UL listed T5 grow lights
- The fixture can accommodate full spectrum LED tubes
- The quality of its craftsmanship is not that impressive
- The reflector is a little compact which decreases its coverage
#6. Apollo Horticulture Purple Reign 4′ Foot 2 Bulb 54W 6400K Jump Start T5 Grow Light System for Plant Growing
This grow light from Apollo Horticulture that stands in 4 ft. comes with a jump start T5 fixture. It consists of high-quality bulbs with 54W, 6,400K each to ensure your plants’ maximum growth potential. Compared with regular grow lights, this allows you to adjust its amount of lumens to provide your plants’ unique needs. Thus, you can customize it for every growth stage which makes it as good as the natural light. With simple operation and durable construction at an affordable price, it’s certainly a bang for a buck.
Features and Specifications:
- Weighs 13 pounds with 46.5 x 5 x 2.5 inches hood dimension and 50.8 x 7.8 x 3 inches dimension for the entire fixture
- Designed with a 4 ft. jump start T5 fixture that has a color temperature of 6,400K
- Produces the maximum amount of lumens that comes from it’s a pack of T5 grow lights with 54W each
- Works efficiently with the 118V input voltage, 67 Amps, and 75W fixture
- Adjustable settings allow you to provide sufficient lumen to your plants based on their growth stage
- Great for seeds, flowers, seedlings, herbs, and herbs
- Energy-efficient and adjustable to obtain its maximum lumens
- Perfect for novice and professional gardeners on any season
- Easy to assemble and operate
- The ballasts can burn out easier than expected
- Not tall enough to work for the entire veg cycle
How to Choose the Best T5 Grow Lights?
Now that indoor gardening is getting more common, manufacturers are starting to introduce more product choices for consumers. Since one of the most important things that plants need is sunlight, T5 grow lights were introduced to the market. T5 grow lights are the latest technological innovation that is designed as an alternative solution to natural sunlight. Thus, indoor plants can still get the right amount of light they need for photosynthesis.
But unlike LEDs and HPS bulbs, T5 (tubular lamps with 5 inches for 5/8-inch diameter) grow lights are less expensive. It’s also cooler than HPS bulbs which normally contain more space. So, here are some things to remember when choosing the best T5 grow lights:
The cost is vital whatever kind of product you need to buy. This way, you can find the best T5 grow lights without overspending. If you can purchase products directly from its manufacturer since they offer their products at a more affordable price. In case you can’t reach them directly, head to other retail stores that offer the same products and compare their prices.
- Size and Weight
T5 grow lights come in different sizes which also determine its weight. Before you buy T5 grow lights, get the exact size of your grow room/space first. This will help you determine the right size to buy to cover your entire grow room. Depending on your needed light coverage area, you may need to buy a couple of units at once. Some are available in 1 to 2 bulb set up while others are available in 8 to 12 set up.
T5 grow lights come with interchangeable bulbs that have various energy and color temperatures. Some lamps work best on vegetative stages while others work best only on flowering stages. You might also encounter NO (Normal Output), HO (High Output), and VHO (Very High Output) bulbs. In this case, it’s better to go for HO since it offers the best of both worlds. This output can already provide high brightness to your indoor plants.
Regardless of how long or how many bulbs you need to ensure your plants’ growth, it should always be energy-efficient. The more you can save on your electricity bills, the better even if you opt for the larger sizes.
- Is it practical to invest in T5 grow lights?
Though T5 grow lights are technically fluorescent lamps, they fall under the special category of energy-efficient products. Each tubular lamp produces efficient light to plants especially from those growing seedlings until the harvest time comes. Compared with HPS and LED grow lights, T5 lights are much cheaper. Since it also produces less heat than HPS bulbs, it can provide more usable light for your plants.
- What is the best size of T5 grow light fixture to buy?
T5 grow lights may vary in lengths but its standard thickness will always be 5/8 inches. Most T5 grow light users purchase it in 2 and 4 ft. depending on their growing area. Thus, you would need a bigger fixture the more and longer tube you use. But to be safe, we recommend opting for the biggest size that your grow room can accommodate. This way, you can customize the light output in your fixture for each type of plants you have under it.
After all, most modern fixtures nowadays provide a separate switch for each bulb for additional convenience. The bigger fixture you can fit the better to accommodate more plants regardless of the amount of light they need.
- What are the bulb temperatures of T5 grow lights?
T5 bulbs have various temperatures but the 2 main temperatures that matter most in plants’ growth stages are 6,500K and 3,000K. 3000K bulbs can help your plants produce flowers and fruits. Meanwhile, the 6,500K bulbs are the most popular type that can help your plants in the harvest period. This is also the most practical choice for those with micro greens and seedlings to boost their growth potential.
- What re reflectors in T5 grow lights?
Reflectors boost T5 bulbs’ efficiency by increasing its focus to plants. It is available in a rectangular reflector and gullwing style. Rectangular reflectors are designed to be placed closer to plants for better coverage. In contrast, the gullwing style reflectors are designed to be placed on a higher position to redirect its light back.
Almost all kinds of lighting bulbs can be used to ensure the growth of indoor plants. However, only a few of them can be considered as at par in performance. The number of choices can be a little overwhelming too since there are lots of brands to choose from. Thus, going over guides like this can help you narrow down your search. These T5 grow lights are the most affordable lighting solutions for growing seedlings until they produce your yields.
However, you’d have to stick with its specific wavelength which is usually set as whitish. Nevertheless, it’s worth to invest in the best T5 grow lights when propagating and growing green vegetables.